Building for VR

Ok well real life isn’t that great so Im doing the VR thing.

This means new pc.

So I’ve ordered a

PC Case: Sharkoon T28 RED ATX Gaming Case
Power Supply: Antec 700W 80+ High Performance Power Supply
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K (4.0GHz, 8M Cache, 8x Cores, 4.2GHz Turbo)
Heatsink & CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON DDR4 USB 3.1 Motherboard
Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz High Performance Gaming RAM
Sound Card: Integrated 7.1 Channel HD Audio - Included
Primary Hard Drive: 256GB SSD Upto 500MB/s+ Speed Solid State Drive

R17k for that

Of course I was saying to myself that for once a monitor wouldn’t be part of the deal as its a VR machine and then the next day there’s a big sale on UHD screens, So I grabbed a 28" 3840 x 2160 for R7k, can at lease use this machine for work then too.

Now finding a 1080 in stock in this country seems to be a no go.
So I’m waiting it out and for a non founders card, dunno who is gonna have a good price on those?

Then probably a Vive, so far that GTXgaming dude says for about 16K he can get one over to here.
I’m all open to other ideas of getting one over to here for cheaper?

Why the GTX 1080 specifically? I for-see Nvidia gimping the 1080 after a few months of sales with a new version running HBM2.

Another piece of advise, go test VR for an hour before jumping in head first. I had the opportunity to and I suffered from motion sickness.

1 Like

I’ve got the oculus dk1, some vodka helped with the sickness and with the improvements of the new headsetsi can only imagine it will be fine.

Well 1080… cause that’s whats out, that’s whats good, I delayed on getting a 980 just to wait for the 1080… don’t really wanna wait that much longer.

On another note I see somone has an oculus cv1 in PTA for sale… anyone wanna go get it for me?

1 Like

google cardboard vr?

3 Likes

this is why stool doesnt get invited to anything

1 Like

Well, bad news.

Didn’t even know that was a thing, I’m not much of a sli person anyway, seen Krygo cause enough small fires and full system reloads to know to stay away from that mess.

*note this card carries a MSRP of $200. It’s AMD’s mid range card - Built for VR. Quite a lot of punch one can only wonder what Vega might produce.

AMD’s top tier Vega comes out November this year which will take on the gtx 1070/1080 if you are into stupidly expensive GPU’s.

Well here’s a hint, dont use K processors intel GFX with higher speed memory.
Had my screens flicker and turning off and on ,lots of issues. Googling it people have returned motherboards and processors, end of the day it comes down to voltages auto adjusting for higher spec ram, the gpu stuff get scaled all wrong and issues everywhere.

Anhyway Pc is built.

1080 has bee preordered , expected to arrive late next week.
Then just to find a Vive

Good luck. Maybe one day we’ll be able to get steam hardware here without stuffing around.

From 16m30s him and his vocabulary gets rated :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Damn 1080 has been delayed till 5 July :sob:

I want a Vive now.

I’ll come test yours. He stated he didn’t feel sick on the Vive at all!

Maybe one day when they are available for reasonable prices.

Jul 6, 3:30 PM And there you have it folks. 1080 Gimped by the GTX Titan running HBM2 due at the end of this year. 50% faster than the GTX 1080.

AMD: Vega is due end of the year as well. Current leaked specs place it between the GTX 1080 and GTX Titan.

Well when that comes, we will see.
For now my 1080 is pumping along, 35% gpu usage running doom in ultra at 1440p.

7m39s to 8m35s physical exercise
10m09s to 11m04s immersion wins, graphics takes 2nd place if you let it.
11m04s to 11m50s People with eye issues: farsightedness

1 Like

&

An intresting article about optics on HTC Vive vs. Rift vs. PSVR