Windows 10

Windows 10 Home Costs $109.99 While Professional Costs $149.99

So whatā€™s the verdict on Win10? Is it a good idea to upgrade from Win 7?

Is there a downside to reserving the free upgrade (from Windows 8)?

I donā€™t think so.

Microsoft announced an official release date.

https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/01/hello-world-windows-10-available-on-july-29/

Thank you very much.

Iā€™ve had it in testing for some time now, itā€™s very stable (even the beta versions) and all my office apps & games run fine barring a few games that wont run because they fail to recognize the OS.

In a nutshell itā€™s windows 8.1 with a new start menu made up from a mixture of windows 7 & 8.1 and some extra bells and whistles added.

Some of the new features include:

• Multiple virtual desktops (oh look! theyā€™ve caught up with linux)
  • Cortana voice assistant (Not sure if it will run in SA, my phone is set to USA for it to run)
  • New web browser replacing Internet Explorer (IE finally getā€™s taken outback and shot)
  • Xbox one streaming
  • DirectX 12
  • New notifications display
  • Apps can be run in windowed form (no longer fullscreen! yay!)
  • A transparent cmd prompt window with Ctrl-V support (paste - finally!)
  • Most commonly used folders will be put automatically into ā€˜favoritesā€™ (I found this VERY useful)
2 Likes

Thereā€™s going to be regional limitations, is it worthwhile to go for the US version?

This came in very handy, since I donā€™t want to upgrade, I want a clean install of windows 10 on my machines.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Itā€™s here! go go go.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
(use this tool to create an ISO/USB media for domain machines since domain machines dont run the ā€˜Get windows 10 appā€™)

• unless you used the reservation app, in that case the downloads started last night and your app showed this screen:

How very nifty that they allow a free upgrade from Windows 7. Should I be waiting until they iron out the bugs? Cue audience laughter sound bite

1 Like

In my testing the only issues I came across were GPU drivers. (AMD & Nvidia) otherwise all our corporate apps work just fine, didnā€™t get any BSODā€™s either. *never tested games due to GPU driver issues

mmmm, my AMD driver is already screaming at me for being outdated. Unfortunately they have made updating it a nightmare for people such as myself. Forget auto-updater or even downloading and doing it manually through the catalyst blah blah. Last time I did it was such a rigmarole with much hate and googling.

Well since my testing both AMD & Nvidia have windows 10 ready drivers, so it should be fine.

Having the driver available is one thing. Getting it installed is quite another.

1 Like

A hacky way to disable problematic updates:

ooh I got ā€œsomething happenedā€ on a windows 7 machine.

1 Like

Since I havenā€™t seen the previews, I must say, itā€™s interesting. Crappy menu is still crappy, but much better than it was. I like the default colour scheme and the window decorations are nicely done.

whatever happened to the humble checkbox? Instead, youā€™ve now got to just about re-programme your PC to get it to not do something!

The windows store is have a few connection issues atm, some apps download some dont.
Retry your apps on monday.

Iā€™ve been trying to download this the whole day, only one machine managed so far.