Elite: Dangerous

Yes, AWS should be able to handle the downloads. See for example:

1 Like

Download speed stinks.

This looks lie a really good fit for VR,

http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/

1 Like

I chose this: (fixed eyefinity bug, it works!)

<MatrixRed> 0, 0, 0.4 </MatrixRed> <MatrixGreen> 0, 1, 0 </MatrixGreen> <MatrixBlue> 1, 0, 0 </MatrixBlue>

Iā€™m using a blue-ish theme from the forum link on that page.

I pick up a mission to go look for an illegal black box around some random star that is about 8ly away. Two jumps later I end up in the system, and I start supercruising around randomly around the star LP 514-80 looking for USS (Unidentified Signal Source) to lock on to and scan. After scanning a few ships - luckily none wanted to attack me, I found a random cluster of some mineral floating about in space. I ignored it and continued. One of the signals I scanned turned out to be some poly-tech thingymabob. I decided to try out my cargo scoop for the first time, and picked it up (WOO!). You should be aware that any floating cargo you pick up will be listed as stolen.

I continued flying around in supercruise, keeping an eye on the mission timer, as well as my fuel levels. I needed to ensure that I had enough fuel to get back to (some kind of) civilization - at least 2 jumps away (in a sidewinder at least).

Eventually, after scanning around 14 signal sources, and with the mission timer having about 14 minutes left, my fuel level was starting to get uncomfortable, I found the black box I was looking for. Picked it up with the cargo scoop, and jumped back to the mission station.

Since I was carrying illegal goods, I figured I would avoid being scanned by Fed security on my way in by running silent. Disabled all modules except for sensors and thrusters, requested docking permissions, enabled silent running and headed in to the station dock. Just before I got in to the entrance, I started to get heat warnings, and my dash caught fire. I ignored it. With life support off, my oxygen was starting to get really low. I just managed to get through the bay force field, narrowly avoiding crashing in to some goat head that was inching his way throughā€¦ quickly disabled silent running, and enabled all my modules, especially life support. It was getting really difficult to breathe.

I headed over to my assigned pad and docked. After entering the hangar, I handed in the illegal black box for a cool 13k creditsā€¦ only to discover that I had picked up an 11k fine forā€¦ something. Exactly what, I have no idea. There seems to be no way to actually find out why you have a fine. So I donā€™t know if it was because of this illegal goods mission, in which case less than 2k credits profit for it is in no way ok, or was it because I still had the stolen poly-tech whatsis in my cargo?

2 Likes

I already have a cordless joystick but ā€¦ I also have a logitech G27 racing wheel. The wheel will be moved aside and not used, but how about the pedals and gearshift module?

I have no idea what to bind them to.

Joystick mappings are fine.

G27 mappings:

Accelerator bind to - ?
Brake bind to - ?
Clutch bind to - ?
Gear 1,2,3,4,5 - ?
Buttons - 8 + POV - ?

For ref this is the G27: (the pedals and gear module could be nice to use in a combo with the joystick)

(I should probably just go buy a frigging hotas ā€¦)

1 Like

If you donā€™t already have a mapping for thrust left + right, you could map two of the pedals to that, very useful while docking. Third pedal could be mapped to maybe landing gear, or scoop deploy? Use it for whatever you find inconvenient to reach over to the keyboard for.

I need to map something to frameshift on my hotas.

Iā€™ve modified the default mapping for my stick slightly. I enabled 5 axis mode (basically sets the rocker on the throttle that is normally a copy of the stickā€™s rotation axis to a separate axis), and Iā€™m using the throttle rocker for thrust left+right. When landing gear is out, Iā€™ve mapped hat up+dn to thrust up+dn.

I need to adjust the menu button assignmentsā€¦ for some reason theyā€™ve mapped the top thumb throttle button to scroll right in the menus, and the middle one to scroll left. Thatā€™s completely non-intuitive for me. I keep scrolling the wrong way through menus.

Sounds like a plan, I have the pov on the joystick for side and up and down thrust. move those to the pedals then use the pov for side, forward and reverse thrust, will help me a lot when docking.

FWIW, the Thrustmaster HOTAS is out of stock everywhere, ETA is jan.

Found some debris from a ship outside the Dalton Gateway

I found a flea!

2 Likes

Damn I got busted. Illegal cargo i picked up from a ā€˜unidentified signal sourceā€™

Wow that is a pretty hefty fine.

Iā€™ve started noting down which stations have black markets. I should put it on our wiki.

1 Like

That fine is more than the credits I have, I was thinking about wiping out my save.

It might wipe out the group.

Go for it. If it does, you can always re-create it. Although I havenā€™t lost membership those times I wiped my save.

I wiped once and I am now sorry I did it. But did not loose any memberships. Took me a while to get back to the same level. If you can pay the fine, rather just pay up.

Iā€™ve been making a fair amount of dosh just by flying around and going to ā€˜unidentified sourceā€™sā€™ and waiting for fools to engage me, i then kill them and get bounty rewards and some cargo, flying my eagle atm, itā€™s better at combat.

Wait for them to scan you can chirp something, then just shoot em like crazy, getting about 6000 credit per ship killed

You should scan them and if they say ā€œWantedā€, you can start shooting without waiting for them to shoot first. I am also flying my Eagle. I bought a K-scanner (which I put on secondary fire), so now I sometimes get multiple bounties per kill. Some I have no idea where to cash in yet.

Another good tip I found is to find the slot on rotating stations, use the right hand rule, in other words if you close your fingers, but keep your thumb pointing out, then if your fingers curl in the direction of the rotation, your thumb points at the slot.